From January 8 to 12, Amsterdam is going to host “The Circle City: planning for resourceful cities“, a 5-days event aimed at exploring the impact and practice of the principles of circularity in developing urban areas, housing and public space.
The 2018 edition of the Studio will be focused on trying to address and answer some of the principal question about the principle of circularity. How can cities reuse their resources to provide for housing, public spaces and urban qualities? How can planning reduce the environmental impact of urban development? What type of policies and projects can we design in make urban space more adaptive to energy, waste and water resources?
The format of the Studio combines critical scholarship, policy making and case study analysis in the context of Amsterdam Region. It is organized around 4 topics:
- Circular flows and urban change: introduction to circularity – panel held on January 8th by Prof. Herbert Girardet;
- Spatial fabrics of closed loops development – panel held on January 10th by Paul Jansen and Jeremy Croes;
- Social reciprocity or sharing costs: privatisation or commoning in localities – panel held on January 11 by LabGov’s co-founder, prof Christian Iaione;
- The politics of the circular democracy – panel held on January 12 by Prof Erik Swyngedouw.
On January 13 the Studio will host the final presentations of student projects, attending experts Marjolein Brasz and Andre Struker.
On Wednesday 10th, the Studio will open a public debate at Pakhuis de Zwijger at 19.30, looking at the political challenges of circular economic development related to urban democracy, urban regeneration and economic growth together with international discussants:
- Mendel Giezen, Urban Planning, CUS/UvA;
- Prof. Herbert Girardet, World Future Forum;
- Prof. Christian Iaione, LUISS Rome and LabGov;
- Prof. Federico Cugurullo, Trinity College Dublin;
- Prof. Jacqueline Cramer, The Amsterdam Economic Board & University of Utrecht.
The full program of the event is available here: http://urbanstudies.uva.nl/binaries/content/assets/subsites/centre-for-urban-studies/masterstudio-2018/flyer-the-circle-city-uva.pdf?3023756958198.
Watch the livestream of the public debate here: https://dezwijger.nl/programma/all-waste-is-a-resource/